Schools & Youth
John Powell, School and Youth Outreach Coordinator
Phone: (802) 872-8100 x211
- Summer activities, tours, and recycling and composting support for camps, troops, clubs, and all other youth-related summer activities.
- Tours of Green Mountain Compost, the Materials Recovery Facility and other CSWD facilities.
- Presentations for all Chittenden County schools and youth programs.
- Learning Tools such as curriculum add-ins, videos, downloadable activities, and more.
- Creative Reuse Showcase information for our annual art contest open to Chittenden County high school students.
- Technical support in developing your school’s waste management infrastructure.
If you work in Chittenden County Schools, choose from any one of our offered lessons and activities from our School Presentations page and have our School Outreach Coordinator engage your students in the classroom, at an assembly, or on a field trip. You can also get in touch with us to discuss how we can better serve you. CSWD presentations can be tailored to your needs. Contact School Outreach to discuss your idea.
Our Learning Tools page is packed full of in-class units,visual learning materials and hands-on activities to teach K-12 students about waste management.
Tour the materials recovery facility:
Tours of the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) are offered from April through November only. Please note that the minimum age for children allowed on MRF tours is now 10 years old. Please visit the MRF page for more tour details and for links to videos of the MRF you can show in your classroom over the internet.
Tour Green Mountain Compost:
Tours of Green Mountain Compost are offered year round and weather permitting. Please note that the minimum age for children allowed on GMC tours is now 8 years old. You can find more information on that facility by visiting the Green Mountain Compost website.
Tour the Environmental Depot and the Williston Drop-Off Center:
Tours of these facilities are offered year round and weather permitting. Please note that the minimum age for children allowed on these tours is 8 years old. Contact the School Outreach Coordinator for more information.
The CSWD Creative Reuse Showcase is an art competition for Chittenden County students in grades 9 through 12. Students, teachers, and parents can follow our Schools Facebook page for event updates, cool facts, and education-related postings.
Follow us here: http://www.facebook.com/CswdSchoolsAndYouth